University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
5115 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15232
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is a trailblazing institution for cultivating mesothelioma specialists. The focus is on peritoneal mesothelioma treatment, including the life-saving cytoreductive/HIPEC surgery.
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
5115 Centre Avenue
Dr. James Pingpank
JUMP TO A TOPIC
More About Mesothelioma Treatment at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is located in the heart of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It often is referred to by the acronym UPMC. Mesothelioma patients go to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center for diagnosis, treatment and other care, especially if they have peritoneal mesothelioma.
This type of chemotherapy combines with cytoreductive surgery to remove and kill peritoneal mesothelioma tumors in the abdominal cavity. Another name for this is regional perfusion therapy.
UPMC is known for innovative peritoneal mesothelioma treatment and became one of the first institutions to build a program based around HIPEC surgery for peritoneal mesothelioma.
- Dr. James Pingpank, surgical oncologist and HIPEC specialist
- Dr. David Bartlett, Chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
- HIPEC surgery with cytoreduction
- Pleurectomy/decortication surgery
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy surgery
- Hyperthermic chemoperfusion (pleural mesothelioma)
- Systemic chemotherapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Clinical trials
Get Connected to University of Pittsburgh
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is home to one of the best HIPEC programs in the world. Many peritoneal mesothelioma doctors received fellowship or residency training at UPMC.
Why Choose UPMC?
- Many mesothelioma specialists trained at UPMC
- Multidisciplinary approach to treatment
- Experienced cytoreductive/HIPEC surgeons
Training New Doctors for Mesothelioma
The hospital’s fellowship and residency programs have graduated many current peritoneal mesothelioma surgeons working at various cancer centers:
- Dr. Martin Goodman, Director of the Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program at Tufts Medical Center
- Dr. Deepa Magge, surgical oncologist and HIPEC specialist at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- Dr. Joel Baumgartner, surgical oncologist at Moores Cancer Center at University of California San Diego
UPMC continues to send new doctors into the arena of mesothelioma treatment.
- Not listed in the U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Hospitals Honor Roll
- Ranked 2nd in Pennsylvania
- Ranked 16th for cancer treatment in general
- Ranked 29th for lung cancer surgery (pleural mesothelioma)
- Ranked 17th for gastrointestinal cancer surgery (peritoneal mesothelioma)
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials at UPMC
One of the most popular types of clinical trials for mesothelioma involves immunotherapy. More studies are testing immunotherapy for peritoneal mesothelioma. This is in part due to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval of immunotherapy for pleural mesothelioma. One UPMC clinical trial tests immunotherapy with chemotherapy for this cancer of the peritoneal lining.
Another popular study is the phase 3 DREAM3R trial, which features the immunotherapy drug durvalumab for pleural mesothelioma. This is one of a handful of trials currently recruiting and with UPMC as a host site.
Is UPMC Right for Treating Your Mesothelioma?
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is one of the top hospitals for cancer treatment in the world. Particularly for peritoneal mesothelioma cases, UPMC has a track record of providing life-saving treatment.
The extensive list of therapies, experienced staff and list of clinical trials are valuable assets to anyone with mesothelioma. Email our registered nurse, Karen Ritter, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about UPMC. She will guide patients through the process of choosing a specialized cancer center able to offer a personalized mesothelioma care plan.
Sources & Author
- James F. Pingpank, MD. UPMC. Retrieved from: https://www.upmc.com/media/experts/james-f-pingpank. Accessed: 11/19/2021.
- DuRvalumab With chEmotherapy as First Line treAtment in Advanced Pleural Mesothelioma (DREAM3R). Clinicaltrials.gov. Retrieved from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04334759. Accessed: 03/16/2022.
- Chemotherapy With or Without Immunotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma. Clinicaltrials.gov. Retrieved from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05001880. Accessed: 03/16/2022.
- UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved from: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/pa/upmc-university-of-pittsburgh-medical-center-6230029. Accessed: 03/16/2022.